MindOut: Mental Health & Suicide Prevention
LGBTI people have a heightened risk of mental health diagnosis, psychological distress, self-harm, suicide ideation, and suicide attempts.
MindOUT develops and delivers national suicide prevention initiatives for the mental health and suicide prevention sectors to help them meet the needs of LGBTI populations. In doing so, the program aims to improve the mental health outcomes and reduce suicide and suicidal behavior amongst LGBTI people and communities.
The goals and objectives of MindOut are:
- work with Government to support the inclusion of LGBTI populations in mental health and suicide prevention strategies, policies and progammes
- work with mental health and suicide prevention organisaitons and services to support them to be increasingly responsive to the needs of LGBTI people and communities
- support LGBTI people and communities to be able to identify and respond to their own mental health needs, along with supporting others in the LGBTI community.
MindOUT achieves this through implementing the following activities:
- developing a suite of professional resources for the mental health sector
- providing training and education for mental health professionals on LGBTI mental health
- delivering mental health and suicide prevention awareness education for LGBTI people
- establishing supportive partnerships with mental health and suicide prevention organisations
- facilitating online professional development opportunities for the mental health and suicide prevention sector.